Monday, December 1, 2014

Posted by Flashbulb Member Matt Mauer

Bang! Chop! Sizzle! Yum!


I grew up in the Midwest; a culture that gravitates toward hunting, fishing, and all other forms of out-doorsman, survival-themed sports. Yet I have never fired a rifle at anything other than black and orange clay discs propelled through the air by a 21st century, high-tech slingshot. My knowledge of the sport was lacking too much to say with any honesty Baylor’s line “Hunting is no hobby. It’s an art. It’s a way of life. Everything gets turned into a hobby these days.”


As there is little deer hunting to be done in Manhattan (or any borough of New York for that matter), I went straight to the almighty YouTube. It wasn’t until hours later that I realized I’d spent a large portion of my day watching videos on how to gut, skin, and butcher a deer. I’ve seen my handful of Saw movies, and none were quite so graphic as this blood-soaked marathon. But to my surprise, after just five or so minutes, I was no longer disgusted by all the mysteries a deer’s skin hides (I also realized why we call an animal’s skin its “hide”).


I mostly eat vegetarian, but on the rare occasion I order a steak, it always arrives to me on an ornate plate looking clean and pretty. It seems chefs spend a large amount of their career figuring out how to make meat not look like meat, and what I discovered while glued to my laptop that day was that there is something beautiful about the process of an animal’s body becoming sustenance, as long as it’s executed in a humane fashion.


I started my research hoping to get more connected to Baylor. I did not expect to also get more connected to the food I eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment