Friday, November 7, 2014

Posted by Flashbulb Member Eléonore Ley

Brainstorming Costumes

by Eléonore Ley

As one of the Costume Designers of A Lie Of The Mind, I thought I'd talk a little about that aspect of our production. Having seen an enormous amount of theatre in my few years in New York, I have come to know how important the design of a show is. The world created by the scenography and costumes is, I believe, a key component of the audience's experience. I've also always found, as an actor, the costumes to be one of the most fun and exciting aspects of getting in the skin of a character.   

Costume Designer Eléonore Ley                                                      Costume Designer Sofia Piccolo



















So, as a contributor to the production's overall aesthetic, let me share something that came up recently when brainstorming the look and feel of our show. During the discussions that involved the set designers, director, lighting designers and costume designers, we came to understand an interesting contrast. Something that I think will help us build our imagination with specificity in the month we have to shape this play.

The western family, the Californians, come from a warm, sunny area. And yet to describe the general personality of this family, we used terms like "destructive", "troubled", "pained". Which led us to imagine a darker, more faded aesthetic for their looks and their home. The idea of faded visuals inspires me even more as I think of the effect sunlight has on surfaces.

Now, on the other side, the Montana family lives in a icy and harsh environment. But as we discussed their temperament, it was very clear that what describes them best are words like "warm", "caring", "unpretentious". We had just as clear of a sense that their wardrobes and their household are cozy, with an overpowering palette of warm, fiery colors.


I think these contrasts provide a stronger sense of who these two families are, and how the visual aspects of this production can be fascinatingly intertwined with these character's psychologies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment